Being United Methodist

As a pastor, I am sometimes asked about why I am a United Methodist, particularly when there are so many options: Lutheran, Episcopalian, non-denominational, you name it. Why United Methodist? Other people ask, “Is it even important”? Can’t we just say we are Christian and leave off denominational names and titles? Is there something about being United Methodist or is it just a title that distracts us from the real mission of following Jesus?

To begin, I do not think denominations are a bad thing. We don’t have to be in competition or judge one better than another, even though we sadly do. I think denominations speak to the diversity of Christian expression and give many ways for people to follow Jesus. People are made unique by God and will connect with God in different ways. Therefore, one size fits all Christianity isn’t consistent with what we know of God or humans. So, any discussion of a denomination is not a value judgment on the others, it is just one way amongst many that Christianity is practiced.

Being United Methodist is a way of being Christian (as is being Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, etc.) It gives people a sense of how we practice faith. It is like driving down the road past a restaurant with a sign that just says “Food”, or “Good Food”. It doesn’t say much. Would you stop at a restaurant that just said “Food”? Most would prefer to know what kind of food (barbecue, sushi, hamburgers, fine dining or fast food) before deciding whether or not to stop and eat. So it is with Church and faith. 

I am United Methodist because I appreciate the emphasis that we place on God’s love and grace that claims us first, that redeems us, and makes us more like Jesus. I connect with the understanding that salvation is a process of growing in God’s image. It is not a one-time event. I value the balanced way we read scripture and the way we emphasize both faith and works in the spiritual life. I appreciate the diversity of our United Methodist Church; we have different cultures, traditions, and political viewpoints. I love the way we are intentional (methodical) about spiritual practices like prayer, worship and service. Finally, I love how we welcome all people to the communion table. No one is turned away.

So for me, being United Methodist is important. It is how I practice Christian faith. But it is not the only way. I have many Christian brothers and sisters and good friends across the denominational spectrum. Being a United Methodist is important for me. It is the way that I understand Jesus calling me to follow him and to lead this United Methodist Church. 

Together we are the hands and feet of Jesus,


Brett         

Comments