Knowing God's Direction

 


“I will instruct you and teach you about the direction you should go. I’ll advise you and keep my eye on you.” Psalm 32:8, CEB

We worship and serve a God who is invested in our lives. The above Psalm is just one of many passages that remind us of this truth. Still, it can be difficult to determine exactly what God wants, what direction you are to go, what God’s call, God’s will, is for your life.

This is particularly true when life is changing and things feel chaotic, beyond our control. Perhaps you can think of a time like this in your story (a relationship or job unexpectedly ending, illness, accident, normal life transition, etc.), a time when what you have known seems to be fading away and life feels precarious.

In moments like this, some have so many ideas and possibilities swimming around in our minds that it becomes overwhelming. It is hard to know which of these possibilities are from God and which are from self. This has a paralyzing effect, and we find ourselves uncertain about what exactly to do next.

For others, the opposite is true, it feels like there is a complete lack of possibilities, like drifting in a boat with no oars, no current, no wind, no motor. No matter how hard one seeks, prays, or tries life is just stagnant. In either scenario, questions or prayers for clarity creep up: Where are you God? What path should I take?

One thing we learn from the Bible is that God guides us through life. We are not alone. God is present in our struggles and cares deeply about what we experience. This however does not mean that we will always have clarity and a strong sense of direction. Sometimes God’s guidance for us comes over a long period of time. I have heard it said that God speaks very slowly, and we may not understand the full picture all at once. God does not work on our timetables or within our expectations.

Further, God’s silence does not mean that God is absent or disinterested in what is happening. No, sometimes God just lets the silence shape us. We can be still, rest in God’s grace, and trust the promise that we are not alone. Again, it is in God’s time. We may be anxious for answers, but sometimes that anxiety needs the peace and pause of silence to better comprehend what God has in mind.

Sometimes it is tempting to expect God’s direction to come in an explosive moment of clarity or vision. While God can certainly work in this way, in my experience God’s direction is usually much more subtle. It begins as a gentle nudge, a stirring in the soul. Over time it slowly grows and will not let go of you. My call into ordained ministry was something like this. It took time.

I am beginning to better understand why the Psalm writers speak so frequently about “waiting”
for God. Still, even in the waiting, we can trust that God is faithful and when the time, the season is right, God will give us direction.

So, what can we do in the meantime, in the waiting? I offer a couple of suggestions. First, keep following those inner nudges to see where they lead, what they teach you about God and yourself. They may be from God, they be from you, but you won’t know until you step out to see. Second, be open to God’s direction when it comes. It may lead you to surprising places and outcomes. God’s guidance may be beyond what you can dream or imagine right now. Just remain open and see where God leads. We will never know God’s direction if we are closed off by comfort, convenience, or familiarity.

If you don’t have all of life’s answers right now or if you feel directionless, that’s alright. God often works slowly. All that is needed is trust that we serve a guide who promises to guide our lives in a good direction.

I offer you this prayer of the monk and spiritual writer Thomas Merton:

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you
does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though
I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. Amen.


(Thomas Merton, from Thoughts in Solitude)


Comments

Popular Posts