A Statement on the Pending Execution of Troy Davis in Georgia

Tonight I feel called and compelled to write.  It came to me in a prayer in which my heart was restless and unsettled.  Like so many others who have felt an inner hunger to make God's Kingdom a reality on earth, I stand up tonight not with anger or resentment or bitterness, only resolve, sadness, and a deep sense of God's grace and love.  How can I not follow where God leads my heart?

Tonight I join my voice to the millions of other people, and the many other faith leaders (from the Pope to Bishop Desmond Tutu) in expressing my sadness at the pending execution of Troy Davis in Georgia.  His case just brings to the forefront one of the many reasons that I think the death penalty must be abolished.  With the questions that have been raised, the lack of physical or DNA evidence, the recanting of 7 of 9 witnesses, and the admission by original jurors that if they knew then what they know now, their decision would be different, at a minimum doubt has been raised as to the guilt of Mr. Davis.  Once an execution is carried out there is no recourse, no making it right, no second chance.  If he is an innocent man that is a burden to bear and a shackle that will never go away from those who had the power to stop the execution and did not, and for us who stood idly by. 

My United Methodist tradition has long stood in opposition to capital punishment, joining the Roman Catholic Church and numerous other Christian individuals and denominations.  Taking one life for another is incompatible with a Gospel of grace, the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It is true that there are passages in the Bible that seem to support capital punishment, but Jesus himself said, that an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is not his way (Matthew 5: 38-41) .  Do we dare go against a teaching that came so clearly from the lips of the One that we will worship on Sunday?  Both Paul and Peter taught that evil is not to be overcome with evil, but with good and that followers of Jesus should not exact revenge (Romans 12:19-21 and I Peter 3:9).  Do we so easily disregard their spiritual wisdom?  If we truly believe in repentance, in new life, in transformation, in forgiveness of sins then we cannot place ourselves as judge or the ruler of life and death, that belongs to God alone.  Christ didn't give up on people, or return abuse for abuse, why should we?  So as one of Jesus' followers I raise a simple voice, "please stop this execution". 

Please don't misunderstand, my heart breaks for the family of the police officer killed in the late eighties, they have carried a burden that no one should have to bear and their pain should never be minimized or forgotten.  Likewise, I don't advocate just letting those convicted of murder go free, I do believe in life in prison.  Yet, this death will never make that officer's death right or bearable, especially if Mr. Davis is innocent. 

Maybe you wonder why I feel compelled to speak now.  I know that this view will not be popular amongst many people I care deeply about; those I serve, those I call friend, family, and brother or sister in Christ.  Yet I value the truth of Christ even more than I value their approval (please know that is not a glib statement, for I respect these people more than they will ever know).  

There is little that I can do, though.  If the Pope and Desmond Tutu can't convince the State of Georgia, then who am I to think that one small preacher's voice will?  The truth is, I don't carry this hope; I don't think they will listen.  I hope that I am wrong.  Yet, I do believe that things will never change until one person at a time begins saying "no", one person at a time refuses to stand by in silence.  So I join my voice with so many others.  Tonight I say  "No". 

Thank you for reading, especially if you don't agree with my assessment, your reading and fair consideration is in itself an act of kindness.  At least now you know where I stand and we can be real together.  Please pray for me and I will do the same for you. 

God's Peace,
Brett

"We believe the death penalty denies the power of Christ to redeem, restore and transform all human beings. The United Methodist Church is deeply concerned about crime throughout the world and the value of any life taken by a murder or homicide. We believe all human life is sacred and created by God and therefore, we must see all human life as significant and valuable. When governments implement the death penalty (capital punishment), then the life of the convicted person is devalued and all possibility of change in the person's life ends. We believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ and that the possibility of reconciliation with Christ comes through repentance. This gift of reconciliation is offered to all individuals without exception and gives all life new dignity and sacredness. For this reason, we oppose the death penalty (capital punishment) and urge its elimination from all criminal codes."
(Social Principles of the United Methodist Church,¶ 164G, Book of Discipline)

Comments

  1. Brett,

    I truly respect your opinion and mostly agree with all that you have said. My only reservation, and uneasiness, comes with the serial killers, especially those that dismember their victim's bodies. I don't think they deserve to die, but I don't think they especially deserve to live either.

    As you know, I am involved with the Kairos Prison Ministry. Many of these men are convicted murderers. I have endless compassion for them and truly realize that good people do bad things. There is so much "love" involved in this ministry. I think that's where I have the problem - with those that have committed such hideous crimes. What value is it to preserve their life? Would Jesus show love and compassion to them?

    Bill

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts